Artist | Vanguard Gallery in Art Basel HK 2020 Online Viewing Room: Zhu Changquan

Artist | Vanguard Gallery in Art Basel HK 2020 Online Viewing Room: Zhu Changquan

89acd65f6d09dd2c857f726c6de165e_副本

scan the QR code above to sign up for Art Basel HK online view rooms

Vanguard Gallery is presenting Zhu Changquan’s solo presentation at Art Basel Online Viewing Room from March 18th to March 25th, which will be a thorough presentation of the artist’s creations since 2013 till today in multiple media. Zhu Changquan engages in artistic activities through analyzing everyday life. He attempts to reveal the rule of daily life based on a variety of potential factors which influence human’s daily behavior. He believes that the effectiveness of the image roots in its potential power rather than its general meanings. The potential power enables the viewers to release their accumulated experience, and get involved in the giant social machinery more consciously. From Zhu Changquan’s perspective, the development of things never follows a single-linear narrative, thus “All-factor Narrative” marks the central notion of his video works. Zhu Changquan builds a new narrative relation between intangible image and tangible daily objects by means of different languages, such as drama, animation, installation, painting, and etc.

In the past 5 years, Zhu Changquan evolved his works around the dialectical relationship between illusion and reality.  Since his first solo exhibition Head without Brain in 2017, he started to employ videos, light boxes, stage designs as his means of expression, wondering between illusion and reality time to times. That, according to him, is the only way that leads him to the true reality. History of an Action mainly discusses questions on space, time, memory, virtual and reality. And a series of thoughts on “events” happened in so-called real world. Zhu tries to dismantle “event” into countless actions and transform into reachable “objects”, then reconstructs them into visual and spacial videos or images through digitlal modeling. As events are made up by  a myriad of interconnected variables,  human beings are cumulations of countless experiences which shaped us into individuals with different souls. We invoke then past experiences as references for our actions in daily life.

We have two type of eyes, one mundane and one spiritual ,That is why we can see things not only physically but aslo with connection to other things. What History of an Action (2019) is trying to show is such connection. All the emotional imagiantions in the works are based on extreme rationality since the projects adpated digital simutation as a creative method.Our proportion of cognition of the physical wolrd for instance, when we see an image,we only read about 5% of the information from it,and the other 95% is from outside of the image,which contains underlying information of it along with different viewers’ self-projected emotions when seeing the image.Dark Beyond Deep is a project trying to unfold this 95% of information.Layer by layer, exploring the known of the knowns, the known of the unknowns and the unknown of unknowns.

 

About the Artist

Zhu Changquan was born in Shandong in 1989.He graduated from the Experimental Image studio, School of Inter-media Art, China Art Academy in 2014. In 2017, he won the special award of the 5th Huayu Youth Award. Currently lives and works in Hangzhou and Shanghai. Recent exhibitions include: History of an Action, OCAT Shenzhen, Shenzhen, China(2019); Zhu Changquan:The History of an Action,2019, Avenida da Nave Desportiva, Cotai, Macau (2019 solo exhibition); Audiovisual Obstructions, PPPP Space, Beijing, China (2019); The exhibition of annual of contemporary art of China 2018  , Minsheng Art Museum, Beijing, China (2019); New Video in China—New Attitude since 2010, Chengdu,China (2018); The Post Southern Song Dyansty, KWM Art center, Beijing, China (2018); PITY PARTY, Sleepcenter, New York, USA (2018); The 5th Huayu Youth Award, Huayu Art Center, Sanya, China(2017); History of an Action, OCAT Shanghai, Shanghai, China(2018 duo exhibition); Head Without Brain, Vanguard Gallery, Shanghai, China(2017 solo exhibition); The New Normal: China, Art, and 2017, UCCA, Beijing, China(2017).

 

Art Basel Online Viewing Rooms: https://www.artbasel.com/viewing-rooms

Duration: 3.18 –  3.19 2020 VIP Preview (Invitation Only); 3.20 –  3.25 2020 Public Open